Do aldermen pass the test?
Grassroots Illinois Action, a local advocacy group, recently launched its TakeBackChicago.org website. On the website, GIA rates the performance of members of the Chicago City Council.
The website gives aldermen a “People’s Score” on scale from 0 to 100, according to DNAinfo Chicago. Aldermen are judged by how often they vote against Mayor Rahm Emanuel, if they support a $15-per-hour minimum wage and if they fought Chicago Public Schools’ school closings.
Alderman Bob Fioretti (2nd), who is challenging Emanuel in the city’s 2015 elections, scored a 90 percent. He opposed the school closings and is in favor of a $15-per-hour minimum wage. Alderman Patrick O’Connor (40th), the mayor’s floor leader, scored a 0 percent. He voted with Emanuel 100 percent of the time between 2011 and 2013.
To see your alderman’s score, visit TakeBackChicago.org.
Chicago Department of Fleet and Facilities Management Commissioner David Reynolds’ testimony during a Thursday City Council Budget Committee hearing was interrupted by an unwelcome guest.
As Reynolds – whose department manages pest control – spoke to aldermen, a “giant cockroach” began to scamper up the wall of council chambers, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
“I was mortified. … I had horrible luck on this one,” Reynolds said. “The timing is ironic that, in the middle of my budget hearing, a cockroach decides to make itself known.”
The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and Illinois Science Council will host the “Chemistry of Chocolate” program on Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m.
Northwestern University chemistry instructor Shelby Hatch and Melissa Tisoncik, an R&D professional with the Blommer Chocolate Company, will discuss how chocolate is made and other interesting facts about the popular treat, according to Chicagoist. Participants can win chocolate in a trivia contest after the presentations.
Tickets for the event are available at EventBrite.com.
Al Oremus, chairman of Palos Hill-based Illinois Brick Co., bought full ownership of the Windy City Thunderbolts minor league baseball team.
Since 2012, Oremus has owned 20 percent of the Thunderbolts, a Frontier League team that plays in Crestwood. This week, he purchased the remaining 80 percent of the team, according to Crain’s Chicago Business. Fourteen teams make up the Frontier League. The Schaumburg Boomers is the league’s other Chicagoland organization.
Terms of the deal were not made public.